Since 2010, businesses ranging from small, hometown shops to major corporations, have opted into using Instagram as a marketing tool. It soon rose into such prominence, it’s now considered one of the “big four” of social media marketing, along with Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. In 2016, it became even more tempting to bring the ‘Gram into the fold because of the introduction of business accounts. Since then, more than 25 million business profiles have been created, bringing in $4 billion in revenue in 2017 and ad spend hitting $20 billion in 2019.
If you already have a personal Instagram account, it only takes a few small steps to formally switch to a business profile. Doing so unlocks an entire toolbox of nifty analytics, features, and marketing mechanisms that aren’t available on your personal account.
But, first, let’s talk about why you should make the change in the first place.
Stats Show It’s Worth It
Like we mentioned earlier, businesses have found a lot of success using Instagram as a digital marketing tool. Along with feed-integrated ads and the beyond amazing in-app shopping capabilities, it’s also just a fun way to show off all off your product and your personality as a brand.
If you’re all about data-based marketing (and you should be!), let these stats speak for themselves on the topic:
- There are more than one billion monthly active Instagram users.
- Instagram can generate over 4 times more interaction compared to Facebook.
- 71% of businesses based in the United States use Instagram.
- Instagram helps 83% of users discover new products or services.
- 80% of users actively follow a business account.
There are a Bevy of Marketing and Data Tools Available
Instagram Insights is the native data analysis feature that helps you understand how well your business profile is performing. While not as robust as third-party marketing analysis tools, it offers just the right amount of data to help you understand how, when, and where your audience is interacting with your content.
One key way to use this data is to figure out what pieces of your content work and which ones are lagging. For example, if “around the office” posts get more interaction than any other kind of post, it’s time to beef up those candid shots. That doesn’t mean you should do away with everything else… It just means that your audience is into that particular portion of your marketing, and playing to that interest would be beneficial for boosting engagement.
Insights goes on a week-to-week basis, and lets you explore topics like:
- Changes in followers
- Number of posts made
- Profile Views
- Website clicks
- Email clicks
- Demographics, including gender, age, location, and active times of your audience
It Plays Nicely with Your Facebook Business Manager
If you’re on Facebook as a business, along with 37% of the United States, you’re probably already familiar with Facebook Business Manager. If you’re not, you can check out our guides on getting started with an ad account.
Once you’ve switched from your personal Instagram account to a business Instagram account, it’s very easy to link the two together, allowing you to post ads from your Business Manager to your Instagram feed.
To get started:
- Go to your Business Manager
- Click on Business Settings
- Click on “Instagram Accounts”
- Hit the “Add” button
- Type in your username and password, then click “Next.”
- Authorize the individual ad accounts you want associated with your Instagram by ticking off their check box.
And you’re done!
Switching your Instagram Account to a Business Account
Ready to make the switch? It’s very easy to transition your personal page into a business page.
- Open your profile from the app and tap the three line “hamburger” menu in the top left.
- Click “Settings.”
- Go to the “Account” submenu.
- At the bottom, there’s an option to “Switch to Professional Account.”
- Choose your industry, and whether or not you want to display the information on your profile.
- Choose whether you are a business or a creator.
- Confirm your contact details.
- Connect your Facebook page.
- Tap “Done.”
You’re all set up!
Still Unsure About Instagram Marketing?
Taking on new digital marketing tools and tactics can be challenging. What if you invest, and the ROI isn’t where you want it? What if you don’t understand all the ins and outs? You can avoid all of those “what ifs” by working with professional digital marketers who have experience creating the kind of content your audience wants to see, and getting it to them when they want to see it.
And Instagram is only the beginning. By tapping into the power of digital marketing, you are accessing a nearly infinite set of tools, methods, and strategies that can help you be seen by the audiences you are most keen to get in front of. With our experience helping businesses just like yours make their breakthrough to digital, we will design and implement a marketing strategy that brings your brand to your customers on a silver platter.